10 Materials Included with Your Memphis Roof Replacement
When someone tells you it’s time to replace your Memphis roof, what the first thing that comes to mind? Shingles, of course! But there are actually a lot more materials that go into replacing your roof.
Every part of your roof has a crucial job to keep your home protected for years to come. The quality and correct installation on these components are just important as the shingles.
At Restoration Roofing we ensure every new roof installation includes the following 10 components when you replace your Memphis roof.
- Roof Decking: Your roof’s decking is comprised of the plywood boards that make up the framing of your roof under your shingles. These boards are what your shingles and other roofing components are installed on. During a roof replacement, we inspect all decking before installing a new roof. If any of the wood is found to be rotten, then it will be replaced before shingles are installed. Your roofing contractor won’t know how much decking needs to be replaced until after they finish tearing off the old roof.
- Underlayment: At Restoration Roofing we use synthetic underlayment. This provides additional protection for your home from the elements making it a crucial component to your roof. On each new roof installation we lay down new underlayment over all of your home’s decking.
- Roof flashing: Roof flashing is located around chimneys, valleys, dormers, skylights, and anywhere that your shingles touch a vertical service. Flashing, made from galvanized steel or copper, is used to direct water away from getting underneath shingles. Not all flashing needs to be replaced during a new roof installation. As long as it is not rusted and the metal is still strong, then it won’t need to be replaced.
- Drip Edge: Drip edge is the metal flashing that’s installed on the edges of your roof to help control the flow of water away from your fascia. If your home does not currently have drip edge then it will have to be installed per Shelby County code.
- Ice and Water Shield: Your roof’s valleys are crucial to keeping water flowing in the right direction away from your roof. These areas need extra material to protect from the constant flow of water when it rains. Ice and water shield is made of a waterproof membrane and is installed during every new roof replacement.
- Starter Shingle: Starter strip shingles are installed above the roof underlayment but below the shingles. Placed on the roof’s edge, it’s designed to provide high wind resistance at the critical areas of eaves and rakes.
- Asphalt Shingles: Shingles are of course installed in every roof replacement. They are the top layer that is visible to the outside world and what everyone thinks of when they have a roof replacement. It’s important to note that not all shingles are created equal in quality. We install Atlas Shingles which have been tested and rated as one of the top architectural shingles. To learn more about Atlas Shingles read our article on Why We Choose to Install Atlas Shingles.
- Ridge Capping: Ridge capping is the trim installed at the peak where two slopes of a roof meet. It must be replaced during a roof replacement. Double check that your roofing contractor is using actual ridge caps that are thicker than regular shingles. There are contractors out there who try to cut corners by using 3-tab shingles to cut down on costs.
- Roof Vents: There are a variety of roof vent options for your home and they are necessary for keeping your roof in top shape. If you don’t already have it, we recommend adding ridge venting to your home. Any vent option you choose will need to be replaced during a new roof replacement. To learn more about attic ventilation and your options read The Importance of Proper Ventilation.
- Pipe Boots: Loose or cracked pipe boots are one of the most common leaks a roofing contractor sees. A pipe boot is a metal boot that goes around pipe penetrations in your roof to prevent roof leaks. They must be replaced when you get a new roof. To learn more about your pipe boot options read The Best Pipe Boots for Your Roof.
At Restoration Roofing we have the experience and expertise to help you through the entire process to replace your Memphis roof. To get in touch with one of our project managers, give us a call at 901-854-3402 or click here to set up a free inspection. We offer free inspections that are easy and completed quickly. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more tips on taking care of your Memphis roof.