What To Do If You Have a Shingle Blow Off
Windstorms, aging, and even improper installation can lead to one of the most common roofing issues homeowners face: asphalt shingle blow-offs. The immediate question arises: What now?
Fortunately, as your trusted Collierville TN roofer, we’re here to guide you through the steps and solutions when faced with this roofing predicament. In this blog, we’ll delve into the crucial actions to take when a shingle decides to part ways with your roof. We’re here to equip you with the knowledge and understanding required to handle this issue efficiently.
Understand the Cause
Before you can adequately address asphalt shingle blow-offs, understanding the root cause is essential:
- Wind and Weather Damage: High winds can lift the edges of shingles, especially if they’re not properly sealed. This makes them vulnerable to blow-offs.
- Aging: Over time, shingles lose their adhesive quality and can become brittle, making them more susceptible.
- Faulty Installation: If shingles are not installed correctly, such as with inadequate nailing or incorrect alignment, they’re more prone to detachment. Installation errors are common and are not covered by insurance. That’s why it’s so important to research your Collierville roofing company and make sure they have the experience to back up their claims.
Immediate Steps Post Blow-off
Acting quickly is crucial. Here’s a quick checklist:
- Document the Damage: Take photos of the affected area. This is not only for your records but can be vital if you need to file an insurance claim.
- Temporary Measures: Use roofing tar or a roof patch to temporarily seal the exposed area, preventing water infiltration. Please use safety standards and do not get on your roof if it’s too steep.
Seek Professional Inspection
Always consult a professional to assess the damage:
- Extent of Damage: Sometimes, what seems like a minor blow-off can be indicative of a more extensive underlying issue. One shingle can be the sign that more are loose or improperly installed.
- Restoration Roofing’s Approach: Our experts don’t just inspect the blow-off area. We conduct a comprehensive check to ensure there aren’t other potential trouble spots.
Repair or Replace?
Depending on the extent of the damage, you might need to repair or replace the shingles:
- Repair: If a small section of your roof is affected, individual shingles can be replaced.
- Replace: If there’s extensive damage or your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan, consider a full replacement.
Prevention is Better Than Cure
To minimize the risk of future blow-offs:
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule periodic inspections with trusted companies like Restoration Roofing.
- Quality Installation: Ensure that your shingles are installed with the recommended number of nails and proper sealing.
- Choose High-Quality Shingles: Invest in premium asphalt shingles that offer better wind resistance and longevity.
Understand Your Warranty
Know what’s covered under your shingle warranty. Some warranties cover blow-offs, while others might not, especially if it’s due to poor installation.
Trust Restoration Roofing
While several companies can offer repair services, Restoration Roofing promises more:
- Expertise: Our team is trained to handle any roofing challenge, ensuring your home remains protected.
- Quality Materials: We partner with top manufacturers, ensuring that you get the best products on the market.
- Transparent Pricing: No hidden costs, no surprises. Just honest, straightforward pricing.
Work With Restoration Roofing, Your Collierville Roofer
Asphalt shingle blow-offs can be distressing, but with the right approach and the right partner, you can restore your roof’s integrity and protect your home. Always remember, when it comes to roofing, a proactive approach can save you time, money, and a lot of stress.
For all your roofing needs, trust the experts at Restoration Roofing. We’re more than just a Collierville roofing company; we’re your partners in home protection. Contact us today!
Give us a call at 901-854-3402 or fill out our Contact Us form and we will reach out to you with our next available inspection. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more tips on finding the best roofing contractor for you.