What Are Shingle Granules?
Today, we’ll explore a vital but often overlooked aspect of roofing – shingle granules! You may not have given these tiny particles much thought before, but they play a crucial role in protecting our homes and buildings from the elements. So, let’s dive in and learn about these unsung heroes that keep us safe and dry.
What are Shingle Granules?
Shingle granules are small, mineral-coated particles that coat the surface of asphalt shingles. These granules are typically made from crushed stone or a mineral mixture and then coated with ceramic pigments to provide durability and various color options. You’ll find shingle granules in various sizes, shapes, and hues – making each roof a unique and beautiful masterpiece.
Why are Shingle Granules Important?
- Weather Protection: One of the primary functions of shingle granules is to shield the asphalt layer beneath from the sun’s harsh rays. By reflecting and absorbing UV rays, they prevent the shingle’s asphalt layer from deteriorating, thus extending the lifespan of your roof.
- Fire Resistance: Granules also provide a layer of fire resistance, which is especially important in regions prone to wildfires. Creating a barrier between the asphalt layer and the flames helps reduce the risk of your roof catching fire.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Shingle granules come in a wide array of colors, allowing homeowners to choose a roof color that complements the rest of their home’s exterior. The granules also add texture and depth to the shingles, making them more attractive.
- Algae and Fungus Prevention: Some shingle granules are coated with special additives like copper or zinc, which help inhibit algae and fungus growth on your roof. This keeps your roof looking clean and prevents damage caused by these microorganisms.
- Improved Traction: Granules on the shingles provide a rough and textured surface, which improves traction for anyone who needs to walk on the roof for maintenance or repairs. This added safety feature is precious during wet or icy conditions.
How are Shingle Granules Applied?
The asphalt shingles are coated with an adhesive layer during the manufacturing process. As the shingles move along a conveyor belt, they pass under a granule applicator that releases a steady stream of granules onto the adhesive-coated surface. A pressurized roller then helps embed the granules firmly into the adhesive layer. Finally, a protective sealant is applied, which helps hold the granules in place and ensures they remain effective for years.
Atlas Shingle Granules
Copper Coated: Atlas shingles have revolutionized the roofing industry by incorporating copper-coated granules in their products, specifically designed to combat the growth of algae.
Algae, a common nuisance that plagues roofs and diminishes their aesthetic appeal, can lead to premature wear and the need for frequent maintenance. By embedding copper-coated granules in their shingles, Atlas ensures a long-lasting, algae-resistant solution that maintains the visual appeal of your roof for years to come.
As rainwater interacts with the copper granules, they release algae-fighting ions that help keep your roof free from unsightly black streaks and discoloration. This innovative feature, combined with the superior quality and durability of Atlas shingles, creates a roofing system that is both functional and attractive, preserving the beauty and integrity of your home.
Solar Reflecting: Atlas Roofing’s innovative Pinnacle® Sun Shingles set themselves apart from other shingle manufacturers through the integration of cutting-edge solar granule technology. Designed to harness the power of the sun, these high-performance shingles utilize advanced solar-reflecting granules that allow homeowners to benefit from increased energy efficiency and reduced energy costs.
While typical shingles absorb the sun’s heat and contribute to higher cooling expenses, Atlas Sun Shingles redirect the sun’s energy, keeping homes cooler and more comfortable.
Smog Reduction: Atlas shingles, known for their continuous innovation, have taken yet another significant stride in environmental stewardship with the introduction of smog-reducing granules in their Pinnacle® Sun Shingles.
These eco-friendly granules are engineered with a specialized photocatalytic coating, which initiates a chemical reaction when exposed to sunlight. This reaction transforms smog, specifically harmful nitrogen oxide (NOx) gases, into water-soluble ions that are harmlessly washed away by rain or dew.
By incorporating smog-reducing granules into their shingles, Atlas Roofing actively contributes to cleaner air and a healthier environment. As a result, homeowners who choose Atlas shingles not only benefit from a high-quality, energy-efficient roofing solution but also play an essential role in promoting sustainability and protecting the planet for future generations.
These benefits for Memphis homeowners are just another reason we choose to install Atlas Roofing Shingles at Restoration Roofing.
Work With Restoration Roofing
As the best roofing company in Memphis, we pride0 ourselves on our commitment to providing top-notch service to all of our customers. We use only the highest quality materials and have a team of highly trained professionals who are dedicated to getting the job done right the first time.
Our partnership with Atlas Roofing means that we use the top-quality roofing products in the industry. If you’d like to see the benefits of having an Atlas roof on your home, contact us for a complimentary inspection. Give us a call at 901-854-3402 or fill out our Contact Us form and we will reach out to you with our next available inspection. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more tips on finding the best roofing contractor for you.