What are Roof Rats? And How Do You Get Rid of Them
Have you been hearing rustling in your attic lately? Well, it could be roof rats. So, what exactly are roof rats and how do you get rid of them? Many of our customers have experienced roof rats in their attic. While forcing roof rats to leave is best handled by a pest control company we wanted to help by sharing what exactly roof rats are, signs you have roof rats and how to get rid of them.
What is a Roof Rat?
Roof rats are one of the most common types of pests found in urban areas. They are also called black rats and ship rats. These pests invade homes and businesses, causing property damage and potential harm to those they come into contact with. Roof rats are the largest of the rat family and grow up to be about 12 inches long. They can weigh more than a pound when fully grown. The average life span of these animals is between 18 months and two years which means that they are extremely capable of reproducing quickly. If a colony is not contained, it may double in size every 30 days, so it is important to eliminate them as quickly as possible.
Roof rats like to nest in warm, dry areas where they feel protected from predators. Their nests are made from soft materials like leaves, cloth, paper, or burlap sacks that have been chewed up and shredded into pieces. Nests are usually located in attics and crawl spaces but can also be found under porches or decks if there is easy access to the roof area above.
How Do Roof Rats Get Inside?
Locating holes in the eaves of your house is a great place for roof rats to enter your home. They can also climb down from trees, so sealing up any holes on the sides of your house is a good idea. If you have any bushes or trees close by your house, it’s a good idea to trim them back a bit so roof rats cannot reach the roof of your home if they want to come inside.
Signs You Have Roof Rats
- Hearing Noises in Your Attic, Ceiling, or Walls
- Spotting droppings in or Around Your Home
- Spotting a Rodent
- Gnawing Holes
How to Get Rid of Roof Rats
- Keep a Clean Home: The most effective way to keep roof rats away from your property is to reduce the availability to food and water. Be sure to store food in metal or plastic containers with tight fitting lids. Remove any cardboard or paper clutter that rats may use to build nests.
- Seal Entry Points: Block any entryway and seal all entry points into your home to keep rodents from getting inside.
- Trim Branches: Trim or remove tree limbs that are close to your home to prevent rats from having a way to get to your roof.
- Conceal Your Garbage: Keep your yard picked up from any loose garbage, pet food, plant seeds etc. and have a tight-fitting lid on your trash cans.
- Get an Inspection for Roof Rats: If you believe you may have rodents in your home, contact a pest control company to check for signs and determine the best solution moving forward. If our project managers notice any signs, they will let you know during their roof inspection.
Restoration Roofing is a fully insured and BBB A+ rated company offering a range of roofing and gutter services. To schedule a complimentary digital roof inspection, give us a call at 901-854-3402, or contact us online. We are happy to serve Memphis and the surrounding Midsouth! To see more updates from Restoration Roofing, check out our Facebook page.