How Long Does It Take to Install a Skylight?
Skylights, those elegant windows on the roof, allow natural light to flood your home, transforming spaces with an airy and open feel. They not only brighten up your living spaces but can also help you save on energy bills by reducing the need for artificial lighting. If you’re considering adding a skylight to your property, you’re probably wondering about the installation time. In this blog, we’ll delve into the factors affecting skylight installation duration and touch on the skylights offered by VELUX.
Factors Determining Skylight Installation Time
- Type of Skylight: There are various skylight designs like fixed, vented, and tubular. The design chosen will affect the installation time. For instance, a simple fixed skylight might take less time than a vented one with additional mechanics.
- Roof Type and Complexity: A straight, uncomplicated roof is easier and quicker to work with than a steep or intricate design.
- Existing Structure: If you’re replacing an old skylight, some of the foundational work might already be done, shortening the time. However, if there’s damage around the previous skylight, additional repair time might be needed.
- Weather: Weather can be a determining factor. Installing a skylight during rainy or stormy conditions is not advisable, as it could lead to water damage.
- Professional Expertise: The experience and skill level of the team you hire will play a significant role. Professionals can handle unexpected issues more efficiently.
Considering all these factors, installation can range anywhere from half a day for simpler models and straightforward roofs, up to two days for more complex scenarios.
When talking about skylights, VELUX is a brand that stands out, renowned for its range of high-quality products. Here’s a brief overview of their offerings:
- Solar Powered “Fresh Air” Skylights: This innovative design from VELUX offers not only natural light but also ventilation. Powered by solar panels, these skylights can be opened and closed without consuming electricity from the grid. Plus, they come with rain sensors, ensuring they close automatically when rain starts.
- Fixed Skylights: Ideal for places where you’d like more light but don’t need additional ventilation. These skylights are stationary and don’t open.
- Manual “Fresh Air” Skylights: These skylights can be manually opened to allow fresh air into your home. They’re perfect for places like kitchens, where added ventilation can be beneficial.
- Sun Tunnel Skylights: These are tubular and are great for funneling daylight into smaller spaces, such as hallways or bathrooms.
The installation time for VELUX skylights can vary, but given their design and the inclusion of templates and systematic guidelines, professionals familiar with the brand can usually install them efficiently.
VELUX NO-LEAK PROMISE
VELUX, a renowned skylight manufacturer, has elevated the standards of skylight installations with its “No Leak Promise.” Committed to ensuring that their skylights not only bring in the warmth and brightness of natural daylight but also remain watertight, VELUX has implemented a three-fold approach: top-notch product design, rigorous installation methods, and comprehensive warranty coverage.
The VELUX deck and curb mounted product family is designated as “The No Leak Skylight.” It carries the new 10-year installation warranty plus 20 years on glass, 10 years on product, and 5 years on shades and controls.
What to Expect When Replacing Your Skylight
Replacing a skylight is not just about removing the old and fitting in the new. The process is intricate and demands careful planning. The blog from Able Roof offers a thorough insight into what one can expect during this process. Here’s a brief take on it:
- Assessment and Measurement: Professionals will assess the current skylight, measure the dimensions, and determine if any structural modifications are required.
- Choosing the Right Model: This is the stage where you decide the type of skylight you want, considering factors like room size, purpose, and budget.
- Removal of the Old Skylight: This involves carefully taking down the old structure without causing damage to the surrounding area.
- Installing the New Skylight: Once the old one is removed, the new skylight is fitted into place. This involves ensuring a snug fit, sealing to prevent leaks, and checking the alignment.
- Cleanup: Post-installation, it’s essential to clean up any debris, ensuring the site is left tidy.
- Aftercare and Maintenance: After installation, regular checks and maintenance can prolong the life of your skylight and ensure it remains leak-proof.
Skylight Install by Restoration Roofing
Installing a skylight can transform your living spaces, allowing you to enjoy natural light and potentially save on energy bills. While the installation duration can vary, having a skilled team and opting for renowned brands like VELUX can make the process smoother. If you’re considering replacing your skylight, ensure you know what to expect, and take into consideration the expertise required for the job.
For all your roofing needs, trust the experts at Restoration Roofing. We’re more than just a Collierville roofing company; we’re your partners in home protection. Contact us today!
Give us a call at 901-854-3402 or fill out our Contact Us form and we will reach out to you with our next available inspection. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more tips on finding the best roofing contractor for you.